Editor v5 on Win95(it is running)...

Grogster

Howdy.
:)

I thought I could press an old P100 Win95 laptop into service, as a field programmer for the PICAXE.

After clean-installing Win95B, and then running the installer update, followed by the v5 PICAXE software, I get an error, right at the end of the process, where it says it cannot write a registry value way down the registry tree in CLASSES.

I clicked IGNORE, and the install completes just fine.

The programming software also starts up and runs just fine.

Is this something I should be worried about?

I am thinking that perhaps this is a Win 2k and above registry value, perhaps?

Thanks.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I vaguely recall the same when I tried a Win95 install just to see if it would. I didn't see any other problems but didn't really test anything out. It installs under Win98SE without any warnings or errors so I presume it is something in Microsoft's move from 95 to 98.

I guess that if it's important, the Programming Editor will fall over when you come to do something in particular. It may relate to a third-party component, so you may never encounter an issue, likewise if it's just 'windows housekeeping'.

If you can uninstall, re-install and note the exact Registry Key and value it may be possible to make an educated guess at what dangers lurk or do not. If I get a moment free I'll try an install on Win95 under Microsft's Virtual PC.

Grogster

Thanks, Hippy.

Yep, the programmer seems to work just fine...

MY GUESS is that the registry key it was trying to write was one of the following:

1) A key to tell the programmer software about some specific issue when it loads, such as what OS it is actually running under.

2) A key to tell the OS about potential protected-mode or other kernel-specific code that might otherwise generate a page-fault error from the kernel, as it thinks the programmer is doing something destructive to the OS, and this key tells the OS that it's OK, and to ignore it - probably to do with the programmer wanting access to the COM port, normally strictly controlled by the OS itself...

THESE ARE EDUCATED _GUESSES_ - don't quote me!!!
;)

I am gonna re-install anyway, as this was just a test install to see if I could get the programmer to work under 95, now that I can, I will put a smaller HDD in there, and reclaim my 6GB test HDD!!!

If the error pops up again upon the reinstall, I will write down the error, and post it back here, for others to examine...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
A little late in the day but I tried under Microsoft VPC 2007 and got a "Cannot write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CLASSES\CLSID\{002D703F9-840F-11D2-6480-0020AFD69DE63}\OLEDB_SERVICES" error, or something like that - can't read my own handwriting !

A search through my Win 98 Registry and that seems to relate to "Mabry.FtpRecordSet" which I expect is a third party control used in FTP transfers.

It may perhaps affect downloads to PICAXE.Net but cannot see that it would have any other adverse effects on the Programming Editor.