BAS800 programmer

stumpman

I am interested in doing some simple pic programming and wanted to purchase a BAS800. I see it in the price list but not in the product section. Where can I purchase one?

inglewoodpete

Have a look ar Tech Supplies:
<A href='http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies&amp;ViewAction=DetailSearchProducts' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

SIRA

demonicpicaxeguy:
Is it possible to give the location of the DIY circuit of BAS800 programmer, compatible with the Rev-Ed hardware/software.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
SIRA ... There is no DIY circuit of the BAS800 programmer that I am aware of. It is possible someone could reverse engineer the circuit, but it appears ( being serial port controlled ) it may also include a microcontroller for which the firmware would not be known.

It may be possible to reverse engineer the entire BAS800 and programming protocol if one had a BAS800 to start with, but that could involve considerable efforts and publishing the details could be a legal nightmare.

There are other non Rev-Ed PICmicro programmers which could be used, but these would not integrate into the Programming Editor, and discussion of those is, in most cases, considered to be off-topic for these forums.

demonicpicaxeguy

you mention you want to do some &quot;simple pic programming&quot;
is this with the picaxe or with a raw pic chip?

if it's with a picaxe then you only need 2 resistors and a powersupply and of course the editor essentially it'll only cost you the preprogrammed picaxe

how ever if you want to use raw pics then i would suggest you get a copy of &quot;icprog&quot;

a pic programmer which are generally availble from electronics component stores
a lot of them do them in kit form which will usaully be the cheapest you can order one over the internet

over here in australia the bas800 has a Au168.00 price on it's head at www.microzed.com.au ,
i find it to be very expensive for what it is although it has the added bonus of allowing you to write a program in BASIC and have it converted to asm by the editor as long as it's connected to the pc (as i understand it)

mind you there are several software packages out there that allow the same kind of thing aloughth some have their ups and downs

if your wanting to learn about assembler
i would suggest you get a copy of &quot;oshon pic simulator ide&quot; it is a pic simulator and it's a very very good way of learning assembler and it has a basic compiler with it as well ..

Hippy, it would be a breach of the license agreement for the editor to reverse engineer the programming protocol and probably the curcuit diagram of the bas800

DavidGw

One fairly inexpensive programmer for raw programming of a PIC chip is Microchip's PICkit 2 for $49.99 (part number DV164120) <A href='http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=pickit+2 ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>. It works on pretty much any Windows PC with a USB port. It comes with a target demo board that will permit programming of 8-pin, 14-pin and 20-pin chips. The nice thing is that you are certain it will work with the latest PICs since Microchip does regular updates to the software, downloadable from their site.

If you want to program the whole line of PIC chips that PICkit 2 supports (8-pin through 40-pin), you can also purchase the ICD2 AC162049 Universal Programming Module <A href='http://www.microchipdirect.com/productdetails.aspx?catalog=buymicrochip&amp;category=programmers&amp;productid=ac162049#ac162049' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>and then make a simple adapter to run it from the PICkit2, or you could purchase Microchip's AC164110 adapter <A href='http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Catalog=BuyMicrochip&amp;Category=&amp;ProductID=AC164110#AC164110' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>.

If you do purchase the AC162049 to use with the PICkit 2, you will need to change the resistor in series with the LED that is attached to the Vpp line to a higher value as the PICkit 2 doesn't generate enough current to run the LED and supply the chip too. I used a 10Kohm resistor instead of the 680 ohm (IIRR). I also replaced the yellow LED with a high brightness blue LED that outputs a LOT of light even at less than 1 mA.

Dave

Edited by - noesisdg on 20/06/2007 17:40:52

stumpman

Thanks to all for your responses. I use the picaxe 08 and it does anything I want to do but along with the editor comes the ability to cross compile to raw pics. That is where I want to head. What compiler might the group recommend to do this?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If you want to cross-compile PICAXE Basic Programs to PICmicro you have to use the BAS800 because the ability to do that comes with purchasing the programmer. There are however limitations to what the cross-compilation supports.

If you want to create native programs for a PICmicro using something else a forum search will bring up previous discussion on this.

stumpman

Thanks Hippy. My origanal question was where I could purchase the AS800. I am aware of it's limitations but except for serin I'm covered. I was hoping a source in the USA would hadle it but I don't see it listed on there sites.

stumpman

I have researched all the answers / comments given and in the process discovered a better solution. Thank you all.
Moderator please close this thread.

stumpman

Ok,confession is good for the soul. Now don't laugh but on 12/29/2005 I received a BAS800 in the mail but forgot I had ordered it. It has laid dormant since. Pic's and developement tools have come a long way since &amp; within this thread is a better solution from both a compiler and dev board.
My son is into large scale R/C models ships and servo control is what I need to accomplish. I am working on a 3 1/2&quot; linear servo for the bay doors on one of his ships and the servo command and pulseout are of prime importance to me/us.

stumpman

demonicpicaxeguy, Your post hit the nail on the head. I will own that software shortly.
Thank you for the &quot;headsup&quot;. I didn't know such existed.
THANKS!

Frank

Wrenow

Stumpman,

I do 1/144 scale R/C Model Warship Combat, myself, with my son. Some of my ships are close to 6 ft long, some ships, not mine, are a tad longer.

I am having plenty of fun with the &quot;lowly&quot; 08M, and the 08M servo controller board for my apps, though I have the 21 servo controller board to &quot;grow into&quot;. Haven't seen the need to go to raw PIC yet. And, by developing in Picaxe, I can share anything I develop easily and cheaply with other battlers.

Just my .02, of course.

Wreno

stumpman

Wreno, we do 1/96 scale and I too have all of the hardware you mentioned and agree the 08m can do it all. The Pic venture is for my education and having a practical application is my way of learning the best.
USS San Antonio, 85&quot;, USS Missouri 111&quot;. With that you will know the rest of my story! Last post, getting off topic a bit but thanks for sharing. Stumpman (Frank)