PICAXE Programming Editor hang in start up

wk_james98

HI All, I am beginner of PICAXE . After I installed the PICAXE Programming Editor (latest version , installed last 2 days only), i run it , but it hanging in first screen (the screen show about od PICAXE) , no matter press enter or click mouse button , it still hanging on the screen . Is needed to connect the PICAXE IC before run the PICAXE Programming Editor ? Please help .Thanks

TSBimbra

Programming Editor v5.2.0

I downloaded the software and installed on my laptop . howevre the program do not run on my windows XP. getting error " software not responding " . Any help please?

TSBimbra

Programming Editor v5.2.0
I downloaded the latest editor. I get similar problem running windows XP . I am Getting error “ program not responding “ . any help please.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Postings merged

I've merged the two posting topics as they both seem to be similar issues ... which I cannot help with I'm afraid.

sitcms

Run-Time error 7

HI All, I am beginner of PICAXE . After I installed the PICAXE Programming Editor (latest version , installed last 2 days only), i run it , but it hanging in first screen (the screen show about od PICAXE) , no matter press enter or click mouse button , it still hanging on the screen . Is needed to connect the PICAXE IC before run the PICAXE Programming Editor ? Please help .Thanks
I get the same issue with a run-time error 7 - Out of Memory.

Has anyone got a clue as to what the fix could be?

I have removed 5.2.0 and reinstalled previous versions without success. It seems that there may be a system32 dll or ocx that is not compatible?

Tateson

I am having similar problems using 5.2.2 off the CD. It just hangs up on the opening screen. There is a small wmessage window behind but I cant read what it says as it is mostly hidden. However after I restart the computer the message reappears & says 'Looing for updates' or something similar. The computer is not connected to the www or any other network. Could it be that as it cant check for software updates it just crashes instead!

Can anyone check this out.

westaust55

I am having similar problems using 5.2.2 off the CD. It just hangs up on the opening screen. There is a small message window behind but I cant read what it says as it is mostly hidden. However after I restart the computer the message reappears & says 'Looking for updates' or something similar. The computer is not connected to the www or any other network. Could it be that as it cant check for software updates it just crashes instead!

Can anyone check this out.
Tateson,

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The programming editor does not perform automatic updates so any pop-up window saying "Looking for Updates" is not I believe, coming from the Rev Ed Programming Editor software.

What operating system are you using (eg Win XP) ? :confused:

Are you seeing a startup screen like the attached screen shot? :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

Tateson

Startup crashes 5.2.2

Tateson,

The programming editor does not perform automatic updates so any pop-up window saying "Looking for Updates" is not I believe, coming from the Rev Ed Programming Editor software.

Are you seeing a startup screen like the atatched screen shot? :confused:

Yes that is exactly what I see. Except ther is a hidden pop up window behind it.

I am using an old PC with Windows 98. It works fine with Programming Editor 4

I have done some trouble shooting and found that the error message 'Failed to contact update server [GLE = 12007]' is coming from PICAXE VSM Update Manager not Programming Editor, but it is still a pain in the neck!

Do I need to upgrade my operating system as well as connecting to the internet to get this up and running?

Any helpful hints appreciated.

Bob T

RobertN

Programming editor and ME

Would you expect the Programming Editor to work on Microsoft ME? Have an older portable with a CD drive that does not work, so tried down loading with a flash drive. Not sure that worked right, since Editor opens a couple windows then freezes, similair to other posts here. Looks like several of us need a solution, any ideas?

sitcms

Picaxe programmer 5.2.4 hanging

westaust55,

I am running XP professional service pack 3 and I am only getting the splash screen of the editor.

Have you any advice on this.

Regards

sitcms

Tateson,

Are you seeing a startup screen like the atatched screen shot? :confused:

MurrayJ

I was getting the exact same thing. I am running Vista, and when it updated to the latest windows service pack the programming editor would hang on the opening screen. As I was using an older version of the programming editor I downloaded the latest version, and installed that after uninstalling the old version. Worked fine after that.

davidbox

Programing editor hangs / very slow at startup

I had a similar problem, windows XP SP3 Programing editor V5.2.7

Traced it to my USB bluetooth adaptor. not sure why/how.
If i disable / unplug the bloototh adaptor the Programing editor starts every time.

Might be worth a try ?

Regards,
David

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member

Hanging with Bluetooth occurs when the Programming Editor, like many IDE's which use serial ports, scan the ports to see what's available when it starts. There often seems to be faults with Bluetooth manufacturer's driver code which do not behave as they should. There are sadly many instances of Bluetooth drivers causing problems reported on Google and in other forums.

The Programming Editor asks the Windows OS if there's a port and if it can be opened, Windows calls the driver code, being faulty that hangs or fails, and it consequently looks like the Programming Editor is faulty and not working. The Programming Editor is however 'doing everything by the book'.