5.1.0 patch problem

premelec

I downloaded the 8M 5.1.0 patch and ran setup in my progedit.exe directory -

Now it runs 5.1.0 IF I do a restart or new boot but gives a fatal program error message and won't run if I put the computer in 'hibernate' mode and then start from there. It's an Hp Pavillion running XP SP2.

Is there a way to make it hold what it needs to do wake up from 'hibernate' ok?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are not aware of anything in the Programming Editor that could/would do this. Are you using a USB>serial adapter, if so it could be the driver giving this effect?

Often USB devices shut down during hibernate, but do not always wake up correctly. If you were to then try to download to a non-working virtual COM port you could have an issue. Simply removing/reinserting the USB device may be worthwhile.

BeanieBots

I have a similar issue using an HP Pavilion.
The editor sometimes crashes when no serial port is specified.
The solution is to use the #com directive or re-apply the setting from the options screen.

premelec

Thanks for the info - the problem seems to have quit after several re-boots - something straightened out in the morass of XP. I do have a similar persistent effect with add in USB 2.0 boards which disappear after sleep or hibernate are called but do not give "program error" message like progedit.exe was producing... both in the XP and 98SE systems I have. I use the traditional serial port not USB. So far so good - the mysterious ways of complex systems!

bcj

These issues are often to do with the Windows power save routines shutting down the harware - on many PCs the hardware does not wake up again properly when required.

Hibernation and Standby are often problematic depending on hardware and driver combinations and frequently do not work as advertised. Disable these functions in the power saving to avoid issues (Standby never and Hibernate OFF).

If you are running USB then the fix may be to turn off the power save for the port which ensures the port remains alive all the time.

In Windows XP;
Start / Settings / Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / Universal Serial Bus Contollers / Right Click on USB Root Hub / Properties / Power Management / deselect the option which says 'allow Computer to turn of .... to save power'

Repeat for each USB Root Hub

Similarly ther are a number of other devices that can also be treated the same way (LAN cards etc) - if there is no 'Power Management' tab then you don't have the option for that device.