5.0.8 Patch Doesn't Update Help PDF for Commands

DavidGw

I just ran the 5.0.8 patch and the old PDFs are still in place so there is no online help for the new BCDxxx commands and the new compiler options. Are new PDFs available so I can manually install them?

Thanks,

Dave

DavidGw

So far, I am not very impressed with Tech Support's responsiveness. How long does it take Tech Support, on average, to respond to these messages.

It looks as though updated .PDF help files either have not yet been produced, or just not posted. Could Tech Support put together a simple text file which details the new commands and compiler directives in 5.0.8, please?

Thanks,

Dave

BeanieBots

Tech support here is exceptional and normally within 24hrs.
To have the pdf installed for you, do a full install, not just the patch.
Otherwise, get the file yourself from here:-
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/revision.txt

I don't think you need to read many other posts to get an idea of just how responsive Technical are in general. Also, take note of how quick they are to respond to users requests for new features and bug fixes.

DavidGw

Hello BeanieBots. I appreciate that you may have had good experiences with Tech Support, and want to leap to their support, however I have yet to hear from them on this issue.

The link you provide only points to the old version 5.0.7 help file, which is internally dated November 2006. There is NO information in the help file about v5.0.8 changes - BINTOASCII, BCDTOASCII or the new #terminal, #com, #slot directives, or the "outpins" addition to the LET command. These are all mentioned in the revision.txt (15 Mar 2007) that is intalled by the 5.0.8 patch.

If I click on the download for the full install (bas805.exe) it contains version 5.0.7.

There is NO full installation posted for v5.0.8, only the patch.

I have also emailed tech support directly and have yet to receive a reply.

Dave

Edited by - noesisdg on 27/03/2007 09:43:02

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The new pdf manual is currently under development and will be released with the next major release (which will naturally have a full install). The 5.08 patch is a temporary patch to resolve a couple of known issues and for 28X2 beta testers.

bintoascii and bcdtoascii are temporarily explained in the quick help (press F1) - see also the explanatory post on the main forum.

#com will select the download com port e.g. #com 2
#terminal will display the serial terminal window after download at the selected baud rate (e.g. #terminal 2400)
#slot is only for 28X2 use.

Your email was received at 19.02 on Monday evening and replied to on Tuesday morning...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Copied from main forum post:

symbol byte_original = b0
symbol word_original = w0
symbol tenthou = b2
symbol thou = b3
symbol hun = b4
symbol ten = b5
symbol unit = b6

bintoascii byte_original, hun, ten, unit
bcdtoascii byte_original, ten, unit
bintoascii word_original, tenthou, thou, hun, ten, unit
bcdtoascii word_original, thou, hun, ten, unit

DavidGw

Thank you so much Technical for replying to my request.

I am a new PICAXE user and it helps SO much to know what is going on. It's frustrating to install a new version and not know how to use its features because of lack of documentation.

Now that I know you are planning a major release and that the 5.0.8 patch was just a stop-gap then I understand. I do think, however, that including a small text file in the 5.0.8 patch describing the new features would have been a good thing, and would have consumed very little effort really.

Are there docs available for the "outpins" option for the LET command?

Thanks for your fine PICAXE products.

Dave

Edited by - noesisdg on 27/03/2007 13:19:32