Linux support

pmgant

Linux support would be nice. Right now I have an old laptop running Windows 98 just for running the PICAXE software

NallePuh

I'm "yet another one" who has an old laptop running Microsoft-OS just for Picaxe.
Many Linux-users are technicians. In what way do you at Rev Ed think it's not worth supporting Linux as development platform?

Or is it so simple; lack of Linux-programmers in your staff?

./Erik, 95% Linux (I wish it was 100%)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Rev-Ed appear not to be answering questions on Linux support, and I can quite understand that as such questions have been asked before and answers given. Until Rev-Ed announce otherwise it can be assumed that the situation remains unchanged.

It's a lot more than just having Linux Programmers as staff; there will be numerous commercial issues, not least over 'return on investment'. A Forum Search will reveal previous discussion on Linux support.

NallePuh

Hippy, I understand that.
But in every answer Rev Ed claims there's no customer demands for Linux.

If we only-linux'ers make our voice heard, maby we reach the critical mass and make Rev Ed understand our needs.

I'm not very pleased about having my laptop up to date with two OS'es. For me it's waste of valuble time.

Picaxe has some unique features, and a very low price. So I think it's still worth it.

But I have friends that doesn't think its worth it. They have choosed other MCU's with a wider platform support.

Rev Ed; Can you at least make a "compiler" for Linux? May of us Linux'ers alredy have a favourite editor.
And surely if you release an compiler, there will soon be plugins for the major editors to colour your instructions.

If Rev Ed continues to only support Microsoft platforms, what will be next?
A Vista-only release which not work on XP?
If that happens, I will join my friends with other MCU's.

Please, stop putting your head in the sand. Linux is a widespread OS, especially among technicians.

And to all of you running Linux: Make your voice heard.

./Erik

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
As previously anounced, we are currently working on Linux compilers and a third party is working on an editor environment. However it is still under development and no release date is yet available.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=5361&forum_id=28

Edited by - Technical on 21/12/2006 14:28:00

NallePuh

Wow! Thanks!
This is great news!
Missed it with my "linux" search, the thread talked about non-windows... :)

This was the best x-mas gift I could get! ;-)

./Erik

Fowkc

Having never used Linux, I have to ask: what do you think the chances of programming editor running on this device (Archos PMA400 PDA) are:

http://www.archos.com/products/ip_centric/pma_400/pdf/PMA_400_en.pdf

It runs the Linux based Qtopia operating system and has USB outputs.

I have my doubts whether it will, but the idea of programming PICAXEs from a PDA is very, very cool.

NallePuh

I don't know.
But I think following requrements must be filled:
* The editor must be written with Qt libs (trolltech).
* You either have access to the source and compile it yourself for your CPU - or Rev-Ed is compiling it for your CPU.
* The sourcecode must use only functions and libs which are present in your OS

Take a look at http://www.handhelds.org/ I think it's the best place for Linux on small devices.

./Erik

demonicpicaxeguy

a linux compiler would be good... mind you given that it controls and sends the picaxe the tokened code to run through a serial port it probably won't take long to reverse engineer a dodgy compiler of some description
but saying that

they are probably waiting for until they release the x2's so that support for them can be included as well

Auda

Linux yet again, when will we see some progress on a linux version ? I didn't have a windows computer in the house so had to build one just so I could use my data-logger again :-( If you think about it the free software isnt realy free as you have to run windows to use it, that makes it expensive if you have no other use for it.

Auda