New software insatll problem

clarkg

Hi,
I have downloaded the software but get an error message on running bas805.exe, "Error reading setup initialization file"
Running Win98SE and I have updated the INSTMSIA.EXE from the website. It still gives the same message after rebooting. Tried it on two seperate machines, What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Geoff

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It does sound like the instmsia.exe files are not being updated correctly. Try running the files again and then rebooting. Make sure your system is not running protection software that prevents the update.

clarkg

Hi, I have tried again on another machine, same result. The MSIA installer processes and completes correctly. I turned off the firewall and virus software. Could there be a Win98se compatibility issue with this version?
Thanks,
Geoff

Edited by - clarkg on 14/10/2006 06:51:38

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
No, many hundreds of people use this installation on 98SE. Some people do experience installation difficulty when the Microsoft installer is out of date, but updating these files generally resolves the issue.

We recommend you try installation from the CD instead, which is not compressed and so shouldn't give the same error message. It is available from your local dealer at low cost. Have you also tried re-downloading bas805.exe?

Edited by - Technical on 14/10/2006 19:09:18

clarkg

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried re-downloading BAS805.exe. I also tried installing it on a machine that is already running 4.1.17 and got the same error message. This machine has been continuously patched through rather than a complete install as I am trying now. One other note that may help, the error message look like it is generated by the Installer program rather than Windows. I have installed other MSI installed programs without problems.
I think I'll have to take your advice and try the CD approach which I was trying to avoid as it means a drive into the central city :-(
Is there any way I can copy it off my other machine? What about accessing it over the network? I tried running it from another PC over the network but it hung at the spalsh screen.
Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Update: I downloaded bas805.exe again but it looks like I am getting a different file size each time I download. What is the correct file size? I have so far got 8571kB, 6836kB, 8096kB...
Regards,
Geoff

Edited by - clarkg on 15/10/2006 00:22:16

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The file size should be about 25MB so it looks like you've got a truncated download.

Another user had similar problems back in July; you're not in New Zealand using Clear.Net as an ISP are you ?

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=4624

The solution there was to download the file at an Internet Cafe which could be cheaper than buying the CD.

clarkg

Hi Hippy, thanks for the response. Yep, in NZ and using Clear.net dial-up....
Thanks for pointing me to the other thread, I'll buy the CD (and send a query off to Clear).
Cheers,
Geoff

clarkg

Hi all,
I installed a download manager got the complete file first attempt. Thanks for all the help and comments.
Regards,
Geoff

Terry Barnaby

I had a similar problem with a download under firefox and Linux.
My first download as a non-registered user failed resulted in a truncated file. When I re-tried the download as a registered user the file was downloaded fine. I suspect that there is an issue on your download server with respect to a first download as a non-registered user ... (I can't remember another time where I had a download result in a truncated file ...)