Windows 95

cometboy

Hey again. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to install the Prgramming Editor on and old laptop running Windows 95. It is not internet connected, I'm a pretty lame computer person.

I've tried splitting the editor using freeware and re-assembling it on the laptop, but keep running into problems (missing files).

I'm sure that there are many ways, I'm just looking for the easiest.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Which OS are you trying to copy from ?

There should be a number of possible options, not least in falling back to MS-DOS and using INTERSRV and INTERLNK which will allow files to be copied over a serial link or cross-over parallel cable. The clever thing is <whichever it is> when run on one PC can copy itself to another if it doesn't exist; I used this to copy files to a laptop with no floppy, no CD-ROM.

cometboy

Thanks for the info. Yes, no CD drive, otherwise I would have done it easily (I presume:)

I have three sources for the software, two XP machines or the CD that came with the kit I bought years ago.

My first try was using a freeware program called hjsplit to break the executable progedit.exe into two chunks and transfer using floppy to the Win95 computer. However, when I tried to run the programming editor I got an error asking for a .dll file. At this point I decided to ask for help.

Thanks again.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The software is made up of a number of files, not just the progedit.exe file. You need to install them all.

To do it this way you will need to break down the web download installer file (bas805.exe) into parts and then reassemble and run.

But you will need lots of floppy disks, a serial link cable is probably a much better idea!

cometboy

Thanks. I had a rough idea that the program was more than just the progedit.exe after I got my first warning of a missing file. I could just see an endless round of installing files piece by piece and never quite getting there (aka zenos paradox).

I'll start looking into the serial port link stuff...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
INTERSVR won't run with XP so forget that. There are however free 'file transfer over serial' programs which should work out there on both XP and 95, Google is your friend.

The worse case scenario is that someone will have to write a short program to do that task.

You'll need to transfer BAS805.EXE plus the INSTMSIA.EXE installer.

Another alternative I normally use is to take the hard disk out of the PC I need to copy to and temporarily install it as a slave in the PC I'm copying from. This is often the quickest trick, but you do have to watch out for disk letter re-juggling, so make sure D: isn't cleared on boot-up or it's goodbye to your laptop disk contents. You might need a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adapter, and some older laptop disks don't have a standard IDE/Power connection.

cometboy

Thanks all. This is not a matter of not being able to do PicAxe at all, I just wanted to migrate the program to an old laptop and then get rid of the huge Win85 PC in the garage.

I'll look into the freeware file transfer stuff on Google and mess around a little more.

Its one of those jobs which may or may not happen depending on how hard I want to try.
My main reason for using PicAxe in the first place is to minimize the amount of futzing with the system, so if I have to work too hard just getting it on the laptop, then forget it.

Not laziness (I think) just resource allocation :)

rfs

I had exactly the same problem last week.
I downloaded a copy of Winzip 8.
Then split the bas85 file into 6 or 7 floppies. It worked!

rfs