Error - Hardware not found on COM3

psawicki

I tried to download the test program to Picaxe 08 and got the above message.
I tried to use Compaq Evo N800v laptop with usb to serial. I tried Thinkpad I series with the same hardware (USB-serial with prolific driver + picaxe cable) with no results. I tried it with my home pc using either USB to Serial or simple serial COM1 and COM2 with no results. I checked the power, connections, software settings(chip model and COM setting) and all the stuff - it is ok. I connected my hardware to friends Thinkpad(it's got USB - Intel 8280i controller) and everything was OK (could program the picaxe with the same software Programming Editor 4.1.9). On Home PC the COMports and USB to Serial work perfectly with the modem 56K so I assumed the USB controller drivers were fine. Despite that I tried to use different USB UHC drivers. It did not change anything. I switched my Home PC from XP pro SP2 to Windows 2000 Server SP4 (multiboot machine)- No GO. Different PCs use different USB controller chips. Home PC - VIA controller. Compaq - NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller(B1).
I did the test. I loaded simple program to that picaxe chip (using friend's thinkpad) just to flash led on the proto board. It works fine. I connected everything to my machine (Compaq and Home PC - tried different ver. of Editor too - same results). I observed when I click the RUN button in Editor the flashing LED stops flashing for couple of seconds and then I get "Hardware not found..." msg.
NOW funny thing: I installed VMWARE on my laptop and run Windows XPSP2 on it. Installed same drivers for USB to Serial. Installed Editor 4.1.9 and everything was great. Loads program to picaxe etc. I did the same on my Home PC and it started working on both Serial ports COM1 and COM2 as well as with the USB to Serial cable. I tried my friends hardware (cable and his proto board that he has no problems with). I received the same results - working in VMWARE and does not without. I tried it on another PC with Windows 2000 Pro and had no problems at all.
It seems I can run it on other's PC's but 3 that I got at home (2 laptops and PC box).
Funny hey? I stopped laughing already.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Peter

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
What is the default international language on your machines:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language>Advanced>Language for non-unicode programs.

Make sure this is set to UK or US English.

Version 4.1.10 patch overcomes this requirement, can be set to any language with 4.1.10

psawicki

Thank you very much. I would never thought that setting could cause the trouble.
That is true. My non-unicode language was set to Polish. Both solutions work as you said. Since I would like to keep my non-unicode settings I installed the patch and the Sun shines again. Thanks again.
Peter

nreed

Hi I am the ICT technician at The John of Gaunt School, Trowbridge and we have one of your PIC PROGRAMMERS which I have been given the task of setting up for our Design and Technology department. It has not been used for a number of years and we could not find the software so I have downloaded Programming Editor v4.1.15 from www.rev-ed.co.uk .I see comes with the Serial PIC Programmer Software but I cant get it to Connect to the PIC programmer. The symptoms are as follows:
POWER LED on when 9v adapter is plugged in and the ACTIVE LED flashes and then goes off.
When the PIC PROGRAMMER is connected to the COM 1 port on the PC the same thing happens but the ACTIVE LED flashes and stays on.

On the Serial PIC Programmer software under the programmer section it always comes up saying “No programmer detected” I have tried changing COM port settings but still it will not pick up the programmer.

Is this a known fault, do I need any extra drivers for the pic programmer or is the programmer faulty?

Pleas can somebody help????

Nick