problems downloading onto picaxe chips

ibarber

Help - any ideas!? My computer was attacked by a virus and I have had to reinstall everything. I'm on Windows 2K SP4 which I reinstalled and everything is fine now except Programming Editor (the updated version 4.1.5) the flowcharts run correctly and convert into basic but will not download onto picaxe chips. The usual downloading window does not appear and after a short pause I get 'Error: 53. File not found', followed by 'The following path is invalid - C:\program files\programming editor\ picprog\picaxe08.exe'. Where have I gone wrong? I used Registry Mechanic to clean the registry before reinstalling Prog. Ed. - but still no joy.

Graham Hill

I have the same problem on my Win XP laptop. (But no virus issue). Have reinstalled after an uninstall and reboot, but get the error 53 and the file not found, that you mentioned.
Can anyone help. I am running it all successfully on another computer under Win 98.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The first thing to do is uninstall the Programming Editor software, then use MyComputer/Explorer to remove the "C:\Program Files\Programming Editor" directory. It's probably then worthwhile doing a re-boot.

Re-install the Programming Editor and check that the apparently misisng .exe is present.

This may not be your problem, but I did have a similar issue on Win98, and I suspect "Missing File" doesn't necessarily mean the .exe is missing, but a temporary file wasn't created where it should have been - My problem seemed to be a mis-match between what Windows thought was the Temporary folder and what I'd told MS-DOS it was.

It's worthwhile to check what your Temporary folder is set to ( in Win95/98 it's the environment variable %TEMP% or %TMP% - Not sure about XP, but I think it's an option under MyComputer->Properties), and check that the Temporary folder exists, isn't write protected, and hasn't got write protected files in it.