Can't get Linaxepad to install on Open Suse 12.3 (64 bit)

SteveT

I'm new to Linux and trying to get away from Microsoft dominance.

I'm unable to get Linaxepad to install on my system running Open Suse 12.3 64 bit. I've extracted the files from the archive to /Home/LinAXEpad, done the bit where you have to change permissions for all the files in the /Home/LinAXEpad/compiler_linux directory but am unable to progress any further. When I click on the LinAXEpad 'gear wheel' it does nothing even though it's properties say it is executable.

I am rereading (for about the fourth time) the install instructions in pad.pdf and noticed this bit....

Requirements
Please note that LinAXEpad requires an INtel x86-based Linux distribution with GTK+ 2.8 or higher,
glibc-2.4, CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) and libstdc++.so.6 installed.

I don't know what libstdc++.so.6 is. How can I tell if it's installed?

Help!

If someone can tell me what details you need to help just let me know.

Cheers, Steve

NB I've got AXE027 installed ok (I think)

SteveT

Just tried the chmod bit of 'installing linaxepad from a command shell'

linux-1l74:/home/steve # cd /home/steve/LinAXEpad
linux-1l74:/home/steve/LinAXEpad # chmod 755 LinAXEpad
linux-1l74:/home/steve/LinAXEpad # LinAXEpad
If 'LinAXEpad' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
cnf LinAXEpad
linux-1l74:/home/steve/LinAXEpad #

Paix

@SteveT, libstdc++, go into Yast2 and select software management. on the screen top left for the package name, type libstdc++ and either hit return or click the search box. You should get a list of the installed and available libstdc++ packages in the right hand pane.

I am using SUSE Linux 12.2 but don't currently have LINUXPAD installed, so my assistance is likely limited to the above.
My system currently shows libstdc++47 as installed.

SteveT

Hi Paix, just tried that and I get a few more...

libstdc++6
libstdc++6-32bit
libstdc++-devel
libstdc++33
libstdc++33-32bit
libstdc++33-devel
libstdc++33-devel-32bit
libstdc++33-doc
libstdc++47-devel
libstdc++47-devel-32bit
libstdc++47-doc

but only the top two are ticked. Nowhere does it mention the libstdc++.so.6 and when I do a search for it, it comes up with "no results".

Paix

I guess that the libstdc++33 in your post is the previous version. It looks like only the major number is reported in the package name.

Just guessing - don't we ever?
Try
/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep stdc++

It is from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10354636/how-do-you-find-what-version-of-libstdc-library-is-installed-on-your-linux-mac solution #6

When run on my box this is what I get:
ian@linux-t0c6:~> /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep stdc++
libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

From your post #4 I think that you may well require the fourth item "libstdc++33" ticked. It will do no harm and may go some way to solving your problem.

My take is that it is the default 64 bit version, but run the ldconfig command that I mentioned first so that you will have a baseline to compare.

Because I don't know you, can you confirm that you are happy with the operation of the software manager in Yast2? If not I will spell it out for you, but neither wish to waste my time or offend you by offering to spoon feed you unnecessarily.
For the non-Linux bods out there, in essence the tick indicates what is installed and if you either remove or add a tick and then hit accept you are effectively installing or removing packages. In doing so other dependencies may also be resolved and packages also installed or removed to keep things in line.

On the basis of the result obtained from the grep on ldconfig I did a "ls" as shown and obtained the result:
ian@linux-t0c6:~> ls -l /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Aug 24 2012 /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.17

The other thing to look out for is SUSE anomalies where slight directory changes from "standard" Linux occasionally crop up. At least you should get to the point where you know where the link that LINAXPAD is looking for is on your machine. Any deviation can be dummied up with another link to the link . . . :)

Let me know how you get on and if there is anything that I have said that you are unclear about, sing out and I will attempt to clarify for you.

Interested parties should be aware that the
ian@linux-t0c6:~>
is the command line prompt on my box. I just haven't bothered changing it. Even I'm not sure what t0c6 relates to. I usually like to put the host name there.

SteveT

Before adding the libstdc++33......

steve@linux-1l74:~> /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep stdc++

and after adding libstdc++33.......

steve@linux-1l74:~> /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep stdc++
libstdc++.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5

steve@linux-1l74:~> ls -l /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Mar 6 11:37 /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.17

Paix, please treat me as a complete muppet when it comes to Linux. I can do a few things like use the Terminal
even know su - to get superuser priveledges (is this the same as Root?). I'm reasonably happy using Yast2.

However I have no idea of the commands to use in Terminal or even what most of them do.

>The other thing to look out for is SUSE anomalies where slight directory changes from "standard" Linux occasionally crop up.
>At least you should get to the point where you know where the link that LINAXPAD is looking for is on your machine.
>Any deviation can be dummied up with another link to the link . . . :)

Whoosh.... guess what that sound was :)

BTW I realy do appreciate the help.

Paix

Hello Steve, looking back I realise that you had already said that you were new to Linux. I obviously missed that at some point. Sorry.

I think that we are happy now that you already had libstdc++.so,6 is and was available, so it isn't missing.
= = =
The whooshing sound explained. I can't think offhand of a good example just at the moment, but SUSE occasionally put what I think of as standard files in non-standard places. It's minor and seems restricted to things that might be readily ascertained with a little thinking and a search for the offending file.

The bit about links can probably be best illustrated by the following command:

ls -l /bin | tail -10
You should see that vi is a symbolic link (symlink) to vim, which is itself a symlink to /etc/alternatives/vim
This is probably an indication that vi was historically expected to be found in /bin

Ha ha, just looked a bit further and realise that /etc/alternatives/vim is also a synlink to /bin/vim-normal

I digress. I will have a go at downloading and installing LinAXEpad later this evening and see how far I can get. I'm just a little busy at the moment though.

SteveT

steve@linux-1l74:~> ls -l bin | tail -10
total 0

Absolutely no idea what you are talking about with the above, sorry :confused:

Paix

Hi Steve, I didn't get the opportunity to try LinAXEpad last night.

To address your confusion regarding the command in your last post. The point was to indicate how symbolic links might be used. The vi editor was arbitrarily chosen because I happened across it readily to illustrate the point.
ian@linux-t0c6:~> ls -l /bin | tail -10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Feb 7 2013 uname -> /usr/bin/uname
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Aug 24 2012 unicode_start -> /usr/bin/unicode_start
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Aug 24 2012 unicode_stop -> /usr/bin/unicode_stop
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6448 Aug 12 2012 usleep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jan 29 2013 vi -> vim
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jan 29 2013 vim -> /etc/alternatives/vim
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1881064 Dec 18 2012 vim-normal

That was /bin that I was running the "ls" command upon, not bin. I was piping the output, which would be large, into the command "tail" with the argument "-10" in order to show only the last ten entries.

Look at the length of the files and you can probably spot that vim-normal is of a convincing length and not just the length of a link, But I digress from the topic and it's not a Linux tutorial that you want at the moment.

SteveT

Hi Paix, OK I know it's not a linux tutorial I need at the moment but I think a little 2 watt bulb has come on....... the 'vi -> vim' bit is a symlink, right? Sort of like a shortcut ?? Same with 'vim -> /etc/alternatives/vim'? So if I'm correct...... are these actual files? a bit like old dos batch files?

If you get the time to try linaxepad it will be much appreciated BUT there is no panic to do so, I, like many others I'm sure, have plenty of other hobbies to keep me occupied, so 'as and when' will be fine by me.

SteveT

Hi Paix, panic over. I'd asked on the opensuse forums and got a little help. I was asked to run this and post the results.....

steve@linux-1l74:~/LinAXEpad> ldd LinAXEpad
linux-gate.so.1 (0xf7722000)
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xf76ff000)
libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xf7601000)
libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0xf75fd000)
libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xf75ae000)
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => not found
libpango-1.0.so.0 => not found
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => not found
libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => not found
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7592000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf758d000)
libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0xf757d000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xf756a000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xf742f000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7343000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf7300000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf72e2000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf712d000)
libcairo.so.2 => not found
libpcre.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpcre.so.1 (0xf70c9000)
libffi.so.4 => /usr/lib/libffi.so.4 (0xf70c2000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7723000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xf709f000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xf709b000)

Long story short :- LinAXEpad is 32 bit. I, like you, run 64 bit. Just install 32 bit versions of the missing libs.

Thanks again for your help.

regards, Steve

Paix

Many thanks Steve. All noted.

I'm still sorting out bees and other stuff prior to my holiday so haven't got to trying to load LinAXepad yet.

Good to hear that your problem is sorted though.