Windows error after new install

simpleman222

After installing the latest version of software, I cannot get the software to open at all. All I get is a windows error. " Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am
running a standard desktop pc with windows xp, 1.5 gig processor with 1 gig ram. I have used picaxe software for years, on pc
and on laptops and this problem is a first for me.

A little assistance please, simpleman222

nick12ab

Where have you installed Programming Editor?
Where does the shortcut that opens Programming Editor go to?

charcoal

Hi, I'm also experiencing issues with upgrading the Programming Editor. To date, I've uninstalled and re installed the new version (V5.5.5) three times, downloaded the file from the website twice and uninstalled and re installed again. I don't get an error message as such, what happens is that all that appears is the initial greeting screen. If I left click on it nothing happens, press the enter key and it disappears. That's it! Am running windows XP service pack 3, on installing am accepting default locations and settings. Have noticed that the old version download file is some 39Mb, whilst this new version is 18Mb. Is something missing?

nick12ab

Hi, I'm also experiencing issues with upgrading the Programming Editor. To date, I've uninstalled and re installed the new version (V5.5.5) three times, downloaded the file from the website twice and uninstalled and re installed again. I don't get an error message as such, what happens is that all that appears is the initial greeting screen. If I left click on it nothing happens, press the enter key and it disappears. That's it! Am running windows XP service pack 3, on installing am accepting default locations and settings. Have noticed that the old version download file is some 39Mb, whilst this new version is 18Mb. Is something missing?
The new version is smaller because most of the PDF files are no longer included. The symptoms suggest an error message is appearing but you can't see it because it is behind the splash screen. Have you tried moving the splash screen and if that doesn't work, have you tried using Task Manager to minimize the splash screen?

westaust55

@gumtree,

Are you trying to install V5.5.5 or the V5.5.6 update?

Assuming this is the case, then:
For the V5.5.6 update you must copy the files form the update archive into the folder where you have insptalled the Programming Editor. The need to copy these files (and not run them) for the update is explained in the readme informaiton.

If you try to run (execute) the file for the V5.5.6 update as you might install many other software programs you will only see the PE welcome screen and nothing further will appear to happen as you describe.

But noting your reference to 18 MB version package size does suggest it is V5.5.5 you are downloading it can be as Nick has mentioned. The V5.5.6 patch is only 1.6 MB in size