prolific pl2303 windows 7 64 bit not working please help.

aduy

i had the cable working last month, but then i had to wipe my drive, and i lost the driver that i had gotten to work. any help would be greatly appreciated. also this is apparently a common problem.

aduy

as far as which versions of the chip theres two in the cable a pl2303hmx with l10209A underneath it
and that one doesn't work

Last edited:

Goeytex

And this why I won't bother with a PL2303xx device in my products . The manufacturer doesn't even
maintain a driver download link that works. May I suggest that when you find the right driver that you
put it on a flash drive.

This driver is supposed to work in Windows 7. Yes, it is labeled Ver 1.3 but it is dated 9/2011
and globalsat says it works in Windows 7 /64

http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/62/windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130.zip

I would run the driver install "as administrator" because of the security quirks in Win7

Good luck

Goeytex

The Prolific site is working for once ...... This is their latest driver

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/\IO Cable\PL-2303\Drivers - Generic\Windows\allinone\PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1417.zip

You may want to download the driver remover tool and use that first. Then reboot and install the driver
above.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/\IO Cable\PL-2303\Drivers - Generic\Windows\PL2303DRemover_v1001.zip

If this doesn't work then I would abandon using the cheap cable/adapter in Win 7 and get something reliable.

Last edited:

aduy

nope, i was really hoping it would work that time. oh well, ill just have to shell out for a picaxe programming cable or one if the ones from sparkfun.

aduy

nope, i was really hoping it would work that time. oh well, ill just have to shell out for a picaxe programming cable or one if the ones from sparkfun.

inglewoodpete

Make sure you unload the old driver before loading a new one. There can be conflicts in the registry when chopping and changing drivers around, especially when you trying go back to older drivers.

SAborn

Here is something i was told about win7 and 64 bit systems, i have not tried this as i dont have win7 or 64 bit but you might like to.

When installing drivers some wont work because if the driver is not registered with windows (microsoft) win7 will lock it out, but i am told there is a way around this.

On bootup if you press F5 or F8 or whatever key that takes you to the page that you can select safe mode etc from, at the bottom of the page there is a function you can turn off or select that will then allow the driver to be installed, from what i am told the operating system will revert back to blocking non approved drivers on next boot up but the previous installed driver will now work.

Im sorry i dont know any more details then this but if you care to have a look please report back with what you find out.

Maybe someone who if fluent in win7 64 bit can offer more input on this.

I am also told the drivers for usb/serial work on 32 bit in a 64 bit system so this method should allow 32 bit drivers to operate under 64 bit.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

aduy

Here is something i was told about win7 and 64 bit systems, i have not tried this as i dont have win7 or 64 bit but you might like to.

When installing drivers some wont work because if the driver is not registered with windows (microsoft) win7 will lock it out, but i am told there is a way around this.

On bootup if you press F5 or F8 or whatever key that takes you to the page that you can select safe mode etc from, at the bottom of the page there is a function you can turn off or select that will then allow the driver to be installed, from what i am told the operating system will revert back to blocking non approved drivers on next boot up but the previous installed driver will now work.

Im sorry i dont know any more details then this but if you care to have a look please report back with what you find out.

Maybe someone who if fluent in win7 64 bit can offer more input on this.

I am also told the drivers for usb/serial work on 32 bit in a 64 bit system so this method should allow 32 bit drivers to operate under 64 bit.

Hope it helps.
this is true that you can do this, but i did not think of applying it to this situation, and if it works that would be awesome

aduy

WOOT GOT IT. i would kuss but im pretty sure thats against the rules. i used the one called vista installer and set for windows 7 compatibilty mode(before service pack one) and run as admin and it finally worked. im so excited, now i can have flashing leds on the bottom of my skateboard. im not sure how to attach it, but the name of the file is vista_installer

nick12ab

now i can have flashing leds on the bottom of my skateboard. im not sure how to attach it, but the name of the file is vista_installer
Attach the LEDs/PCB to the bottom of the skateboard or attach the installer file? In the case of the former, bolts or clips will probably be best or in the case of the latter, change the file extension to .pdf and then you can smuggle it in and to run it users just have to change the file extension back to .exe.

aduy

yes by attaching i meant the installer, but im not sure how to change the file type, as its an executable.

inglewoodpete

If only I'd known!

now i can have flashing leds on the bottom of my skateboard
If I'd only known, I would have offered more help.

Question: Who will be underneath your skate board to see them? Or do you fall off a lot and want to use the LEDs to indicate that you have fallen off?:):)

I'm glad you've got the drivers working. It can be frustrating when they don't work.

aduy

lol obviously you have never seen the fast and the furious tokyo drift because then you would know what i was talking about.
IMG_20110827_021329 (1).jpg

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

lol obviously you have never seen the fast and the furious tokyo drift because then you would know what i was talking about.
As a matter of fact I have seen Tokyo Drift. My son, now 17, brought it to my attention. However, I don't recall lights on skateboards. I guess its just a matter of priorities: I can only fit the important stuff into my brain these days.

I showed your photo to my son, expecting him to say "Cool!" but he didn't. Instead, he said "Why would you put LEDs under a long board?" He's just got no taste when it comes to the important things in life, I'd say.

Last edited:

aduy

they didn't have them in the movie, but i made some for my friends too, and we ride around campus at night, its awesome. there's 57,000 students that go to my university so its pretty big and pretty crazy.

nick12ab

yes by attaching i meant the installer, but im not sure how to change the file type, as its an executable.
You need to have "Hide File Extensions for known file types" in Windows Folder Options disabled so that you see the file extension .exe, then click the file and press F2, then press the END key, then hold down SHIFT and press LEFT three times then press the p key followed by d and f then press ENTER. Your file should now be renamed.

aduy

cool thanks here it is. so just run as admin under windows 7, and that should be it.

edit whats the biggest type of file you can upload, the size of the driver is 1.97mb?

nick12ab

The biggest is 1.91 MB and that's for a .txt file so in order to fit your file, you'll have to stick the executable in a zipped folder then rename the zipped folder. as zipped folders have file extensions - .zip