AXE033 LCD display

munchamatic

Hi All
I'm new to the forum so Hello's to you all, I'm having a small issue with the AXE033 LCD display, at times it will display parts of "This is message ?" I guess this is embeded in the firmware. I have run serval tests as the LCD display is connected to a small 433Mhz reciever,possibly interferance I first thought so I removed the reciever and just left the LCD on, and yes from time to time it still displays messages.

Any idea??

Thanks Clive

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

Messages can be pre-programmed into the AXE033 and are then shown on the display by issuing a simple command sequence. That they appear when not intended suggests the PICAXE is receiving 'noise' which it misinterpreted as a command to display those messages. This is likely to happen with a simple 433MHz receiver connected directly to the AXE033 and can also occur if the AXE033 input is left unconnected in electrically noisy environments, such as with RF present nearby.

To control an LCD via 433MHz RF it will be necessary to use something to filter the RF 'noise', a PICAXE or an NKM2401 RF interface.

munchamatic

Many thanks Hippy,

I have placed the AXE213 boards in my TX/RX units tonite, my data now does not get over wrote anymore, but parts of the firmware messages fill the empty places on the LCD (Axe033). Just to be on the safe side here is the code the Picaxe is an 08m2. Also I have noticed that the LCD does not clear when returning to main?

Thanks Clive
Code:
symbol txpin = 0
symbol units =    b0
symbol tens  =    b1
symbol hund =     b2
symbol thous =    b3
symbol tenthou =  b4
symbol units1 =    b5
symbol tens1  =    b6
symbol hund1 =     b7
symbol thous1 =    b8
symbol tenthou1 =  b9
symbol readdir = w3
symbol reading = w5
symbol read1=w6

main:
serout txpin,n2400, (254,1)
pause 30

maindir:
readadc C.4, readdir
readdir=readdir*141 
readdir=readdir/100
gosub convert 
serout txpin,n2400, (254,128,"HEAD  " )
pause 100
serout txpin, n2400, ( 254,138,hund,tens,units," "," "," ")

mainspeed:		
count c.3,2000,reading
count C.3,2000,read1
let reading=reading + read1
reading=reading*104
reading=reading/2
reading=reading/10
gosub convert1
serout txpin, n2400, (254,192,"SPEED       " )
pause 100
serout txpin, n2400,( 254, 202,tenthou1,thous1,hund1,".",tens1,units1 )
pause 100
goto main

convert:

bintoascii readdir ,hund,tens,units    

work:
    if thous = $30 and tenthou = $30 then        
    thous = $20
    endif

if tenthou = $30 then          
    tenthou = $20
    endif
    return

convert1:

bintoascii reading ,tenthou1,thous1,hund1,tens1,units1        
    goto work

Last edited:

nick12ab

Please use [CODE][/CODE] tags around code like it says in the 'Read Me First' thread
If you add any PICAXE BASIC program code to your post, please enclose it within [code] [/code] tags e.g.
[code]
high 1
pause 1000
low 1
[/code]
because it is much easier to read as normally white space is removed by the forum unless [CODE][/CODE] tags are used and white space really improves readability. Because the white space is now removed, to restore them you'll have to copy and paste back out of P.E.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Also I have noticed that the LCD does not clear when returning to main?
Does the 'txpin' go to an RF transmitter, over the air to an RF receiver, and on to the AXE033, or is this a direct, hard-wired wire connection to the AXE033 ?

If sent via RF then to send data reliably you cannot just simply use SEROUT. Sometimes it may work but data can be dropped and corrupted.

munchamatic

Does the 'txpin' go to an RF transmitter, over the air to an RF receiver, and on to the AXE033, or is this a direct, hard-wired wire connection to the AXE033 ?

If sent via RF then to send data reliably you cannot just simply use SEROUT. Sometimes it may work but data can be dropped and corrupted.
Yes correct, Txpin to RF transmitter,over the air to receiver direct to AXE033,so which command should one be using?

Clive

BillyGreen1973

as mentioned by 'Hippy' above,
you will probably be better off using a PICAXE between the receiver and the AXE033. This can do the serial handleing and cleanup for you. If you use a 14M2's for both TX and RX, you can use the RFin/RFout commands that use manchester coding for better reliability

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
With nothing between RF receiver and AXE033 it will always be prone to interference and corrupt display, even with the RF transmitting all the time ( and that's not a very sociable thing to do anyway ).

Either add a PICAXE to do the filtering or use an NKM2401 receiver. An NKM2401 can be connected directly between an RF receiver and AXE033 ( or other serial LCD display ) providing the sender formats the 8-byte data payload for it correctly, data can then be transmitted through another NKM2401 or a PICAXE using RFOUT.

john2051

Hi Hippy, please forgive my intrusion. I had a similar problems with an axe091 and the axe033just displaying a simple message.
I managed to sort it by adding a one second delay before sending anything to the lcd.
The other thing, the one it turned out to be, was by adjusting the frequency of the picaxe osc (the problem only ever occurred on axes using the internal resonator),
and there again not all of them. It seems when the axe033 gets confused during startup it displays one of the onboard messages.
Hope this makes sense, its getting late!
Hope it helps......regards john