Axepad on Fedora 13 64bit Linux

dillond666

Hi Guys,
I get the following error when I try to run Axepad. SELinux is something I really do not understand, so I am unable to get Axepad going :confused: Perhaps the following error message may be of help/interest to the developers of Axepad for future releases? I can get by with a Linux text editor and can use my old windows box in the garage for programming the chips so it's not the end of the world but I do like Axepad, it's a great app :)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

SELinux is preventing /home/dillond666/Downloads/linaxepad/LinAXEpad from
loading /home/dillond666/Downloads/linaxepad/LinAXEpad Libs/libRBXML.so which
requires text relocation.

Detailed Description:

The LinAXEpad application attempted to load
/home/dillond666/Downloads/linaxepad/LinAXEpad Libs/libRBXML.so which requires
text relocation. This is a potential security problem. Most libraries do not
need this permission. Libraries are sometimes coded incorrectly and request this
permission. The SELinux Memory Protection Tests
(http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/selinux-mem.html) web page explains how to
remove this requirement. You can configure SELinux temporarily to allow
/home/dillond666/Downloads/linaxepad/LinAXEpad Libs/libRBXML.so to use
relocation as a workaround, until the library is fixed. Please file a bug
report.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

I'm not familiar with SELinux ( "Security-Enhanced Linux" ) but it does have those additional security enhancements which other Linux distributions do not. It seems the case that what is considered acceptable elsewhere isn't here. Thanks for letting us know.

SELinux may well be right that what is being done is not the best way and there may be alternative ways to do things but there is only limited control we have over what is done and how. AXEpad source code goes through the compiler, which generates the executable in the form it is; how the compiler generates executable code and libraries used is beyond our control. We can inform the third-party compiler manufacturer of the issue with the way they generate their executable code but it will be their decision as to how they deal with that issue and in what timescale.

The pragmatic short term solution is to disable security enhancements when executing AXEpad or use a Linux distribution which does not prevent execution.