MacAxepad 1.1.0 not compiling...Help!

humphpicaxe

I upgraded from MacAxepad 1.0.0 to 1.1.0 to support the 18M2. The first couple of runs it worked fine, but then the compiler stopped behaving, ignores some syntax errors, throws other strange syntax errors, and says every complied program is 3 bytes...and indeed is downloading an empty program to the chip. Tried removing and reinstalling, to no avail. OSX10.6. Any help appreciated!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That all seems very odd. Can you give a short example of source code which does not compile, some indications of what syntax errors it is ignoring and odd ones which it is producing ?

humphpicaxe

examples

init:
low c.2
dacsetup %10100000
main:
for b1 = 0 to 31
daclevel b1
pause 1000
next b1
goto main

'Syntax Check for PICAXE-18M2 Failed

i

Error:syntax error

Now I take away the "init" line:

low c.2
dacsetup %10100000
main:
for b1 = 0 to 31
daclevel b1
pause 1000
next b1
goto main

Syntax check successful
Memory used = 3 out of 2048 bytes

Now I put in nonsense:

low c.2
dacsetup %10100000
main:
for b1 = 0 to 31
daclevel b1
pause 1000
next b1
blablabla
goto main

Syntax check successful
Memory used = 3 out of 2048 bytes

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
From the "i" Error:syntax error my initial guess would be an invisible character in the source code which is acting as a premature end of file indicator. Does the compilation work if you close and re-open AXEpad, retype in the program rather than loading it from disk ?

You could try saving the file then re-opening it, opening it as a text file to check what's in it, even post it here so we can check its contents.

humphpicaxe

You were right

Thanks Hippy - I was pasting directly from open office to axepad. When I pasted to textedit and thence to axepad (after a reboot) everything behaved fine.