Trouble programming

QuIcK

Hello.
I'm having trouble programming my 28x2 from axepad. Ive tested the serial cable (usb -> minijack) using the options for high & low, and it works fine.
I can clear the hardware memory, and i can download a basic program (eg high c.0). but for whatever reason it wont download my program. it keeps coming up with a 'hardware not found' error.
The program compiles correctly, and i've run through simulations of it working (at home on my windows desktop). I converted it to unix file format, tried doing everything i can think of.

am i missing a step?

QuIcK

right. ive gone through my program, uncommenting 1 line at a time until it fails to download.
as soon as i introduce a gosub command, it fails to find the picaxe hardware during programming.

e.g.
Code:
main:
gosub togglepin
goto main

togglepin:
toggle c.0
return
stops the compiler/programmer from finding the hardware, whereas
Code:
main:
goto togglepin
goto main

togglepin:
toggle c.0
goto main
compiles & downloads fine.

suggestions? I may just have to download this at home, i guess

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
This is very strange as what AXEpad downloads is simply data, ones and zeroes, so whether GOSUB or something else it should not matter. What it could be related to is the length of code so just coincidental that GOSUB is what you changed which made the download work.

Are you using batteries ? If so it could be that downloading starts, the batteries weaken during programming and fail on longer programs which have more varied byte values.

If it's not that, you cannot get it work at home, which version of AXEpad are you using and on what system ?

QuIcK

cheers hippy for getting back to me.
axepad is the latest version on the picaxe software download page as of 2 or 3 weeks ago. running on mac osx 10.6.4

I'm not using batteries. its a regulated bench supply.

also, that small segment of code causes the 'crash'. its not an example of what would do it, it actually stops it from working. both those samples compile to 12 bytes, so i don't think its a size issue.

I've tried the standalone compiler, and this is the output from terminal:
Code:
PICAXE-28X2 (40X2) Enhanced Compiler. Version 1.5
Copyright (c) 1996-2010 Revolution Education Ltd
All rights reserved.
www.picaxe.co.uk

Compiled successfully.
Memory used = 1133 out of 4096 bytes.

Searching for hardware on /dev/tty.usbserial-00004006.

line# 0 col# 0 

Error: Hardware not found on /dev/tty.usbserial-00004006!
probably doesnt help.
I'll try at home on my pc.

QuIcK

unfortunately, i only have a 28x2 to try with.
Also, the program compiles & programs fine on my PC