AxePad on Mac Issues/Bugs

QuIcK

Heya, I've found some strange 'issues' with Axepad on Mac OS X 10.6 (snow leopard). Latest revision, coding for 28X2

copying & pasting seems to screw up code. it looks like it adds text between characters/commands, but keeps them hidden. So it seems like its copy & pasted correctly, except when you go to edit or delete it. Then you start deleting these 'hidden' sections.
Sometimes it also doesn't past code correctly. I guess this is part of the hiding thing, in that characters will disappear, replaced by spaces (or maybe hidden characters)

Also, I can't seem to get gosubs to work. I have a program that compiles with no issues at all. I add in a gosub command, and the compiler complains about the first line of text in the editor. I remove the gosub command, and it works fine.

Finally, when I started coding for an X2, just writing some basic code. The compiler threw up all sorts of editors for things that would normally (i mean on a pc) work. So I ran the 'Convert for x2' wizard, it didn't change anything in the code (as far as I could see), and it started being able to compile it.

I am a bit rusty at picaxe programming, and its my first time coding them on a mac, so mayb I'm doing something wrong.

Any help or advice?
Cheers
Andrew

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please post the program with the gosub issue and we will check it. We are not aware of any cut/copy/paste issues but will look into it.

Also are you cut'n'pasting an old PC file into a Mac file? A good idea is to open a PC file and then resave it on the Mac before doing anything else. This will make sure it is saved in the Unix text encoding system, which can be different to PC. Also make sure the Unix saving format check box is 'ticked' under Options for the editor.

Last edited:

QuIcK

well, this is embarrasing. I cant seem to recreate the issue. Perhaps I needed a restart after installing axepad, or more likely its because i wasn't saving as unix encoded.

I'll let you know if it happens again.

brw3sbc

Good morning,

Today, I have run into this very issue, pasting into Mac AXEpad causes some sort of distortion in the file. Although syntax will pass,(3 bytes) the code is faulty (e.g. code explorer won't report included constants.)

I thought that it was corruption in files coming from outside the editor, but a test of copying proven code from one AXEpad window to another results in the same problem. (i.e. load up a short program, download it to project, confirm operation, select all in AXEpad, copy, NEW AXEpad window, Paste, check syntax, note issue.)

Interestingly, if I take the copied code (regardless of where I get the good code), paste it into TextEdit, convert to plain text, save as .txt or .bas, MacAXEpad can open the file and it will be fully useable.

There is definitely something not working as expected with the Paste command into Mac Axepad. It could be some configuration parameter that I have on my Mac, but I really don't know. I have a workaround, so this is not critical, but I would really like to resolve this.

This is where I left off my initial message, since then,I've tried other tests. here is the interesting result.

Open a new Mac AXEpad window; copy or drag some known good programming into the window (have at least one constant); verify syntax; probable result will be a pass, only 3 bytes reported, but the constant won't be listed in Code Explorer. Now SAVE the file (.bas); close the window; Open that same file (Open recent - top item); check syntax; and you'll find the program ready to download - many bytes (depending on program), constant(s) listed, etc.

Note: Simply Saving the file may not resolve the issue - I've had to save, close, and re-open for success. (note: this is applicable only when lines of code have been copied and pasted - fresh keyboard input seems to be readily accepted.)

Mac G5 PPC OS 10.5.8

Last edited: