Installing AXEpad...

Grogster

Hello :)

I have my dinky wee Asus Eee PC with GNU Linux on it, and I have copied all the files from the AXEpad application to a folder on the Eee PC, now how do I actually go about installing it?

I am a Windoze user, and although I have tried a few Linux distros, I am still pretty lost when it comes to installing new applications in Linux.

I gather this can be done in the Eee PC using add/remove programs, and I guess it would go under the WORK tab, but ALL tabs under add/remove programs on the Eee PC are blank, and left or right-clicking does nothing, so how do I tell the Eee PC to install AXEpad?

I I try running the main file - LinAXEpad - the Eee PC asks me which program I want to open the file with.

Can one of you Linux gurus here give me a couple of pointers?

Thanks.
:)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You don't install it - you are there already if you have dragged all the files out of the .tar.gz compressed file into a new folder!

In File Manager right click over the LinAXEpad file in this new folder, select properties and make sure everybody has 'exec' access permissions.

Then double click on the LinAXEpad file to start the software.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
How to add a LinAXEpad icon to the eeePC home pages.

Start a Terminal Console (Ctrl+Alt+T)

Change to the AsusLauncher folder
cd /opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher

Make a backup of the original simpleui.rc file
sudo cp simpleui.rc simpleui.rc.backup

Open the simpleui.rc file in a text editor e.g kate
sudo kate simpleui.rc

Scroll to near the bottom of the file and add in the new parcel section exactly as below (assuming the linaxepad folder is located in 'My Home')

Code:
[PLAIN]
<parcel
        simplecat="Work" 
        extraargs="/home/user/linaxepad/LinAXEpad"
        icon="documents_norm.png"
        selected_icon="documents_hi.png">

<name lang="en">LinAXEpad</name>        
        <desc lang="en">LinAXEpad for PICAXE</desc>
</parcel>
[/PLAIN]
Save the file and restart the eeepc.

Note:
You can change simplecat="Work" to simplecat="Learn" or even simplecat="Play" depending on how you consider your use of the PICAXE system ;-)

Last edited:

Grogster

How to add a LinAXEpad icon to the eeePC home pages.

Start a Terminal Console (Ctrl+Alt+T)

Change to the AsusLauncher folder
cd /opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher
OK - done. :)

Make a backup of the original simpleui.rc file
sudo cp simpleui.rc simpleui.rc.backup
1st hurdle - Eee PC responds with: cp: cannot create regular file 'simpleui.rc' : Permission denied.

Great - as with a woman where permission is denied... ;) :D

I've been searching the net(EEE PC Wiki), and perhaps I have to issue an sudo bash first - might try that - I can only corrupt the system! :D

I'll be back with an edit, if that gets me around the problem...

EDIT: Did not spot the sudo in front of the command - was that there yesterday? I was going from a printout...

Things are working now - on to the next step.

Last edited:

Grogster

OK, have made the changes, but I still don't see any icon under the WORK tab.
Attached are some images of my progress so you can check I am doing things right...

Attachments

Grogster

Arghghhghhh - "Forget" this, to coin a phrase.

Have wiped Linux and put Windoze 2K Pro on there, and everything is running with the Windows Programming Editor.

I still have the Linux restore CD's, so I could always put Linux back on there later - perhaps...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Linux is case sensitive - so LinAXEPad is not what you typed in Kate.... little 'l' in extraarg

So one letter was all that was wrong...

Grogster

Thanks for the pointer - sheesh - all for the sake of one letter...

Linux is the most pedantic OS I have ever worked with, and I have tried lots of distros, all of which have their own pros and cons, but they all share the pedantic behaviour component! :p

I might get around to putting Linux back on there to tinker with one day - will print this thread for safe keeping. Win 2K works well on the Eee though, and I have everything running fine including the Prolific adapter, so all's well that ends well. :)