LinuxAXEpad - Verification error - 0x00

marcos.placona

Hi, trying to get this to work on my linux box.

I've connected it directly to the COM ports of my desktop (via AXE026), and keep getting:

Code:
PICAXE-08M Enhanced Compiler. Version 1.2
Copyright (c) 1996-2010 Revolution Education Ltd
All rights reserved.
www.picaxe.co.uk

Compiled successfully.
Memory used = 8 out of 256 bytes.

Searching for hardware on /dev/ttyS0.
Downloading program.

line# 0 col# 0 

Error: 
Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but nothing received at byte 0
I then tried the same via USB adaptor, but got the same error. I know I;m using the right port, as when running linaxepad and clicking firmware, I get "found picaxe-08m..."

Things I've tried:

• running the same thing from command line (./picaxe08m -c/dev/ttyS0 tmp.bas) to be 100% sure, and got the same thing.
  • changing the batteries for three brand new AA 1.5v
  • checking connections

I must say that this same setup (and picaxe) works on a windows box, so it's definitely something to do with the linux setup.

Can anyone shed any light on what else I can do to get this to work?

Thanks in advance

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Testing LinAXEpad today regarding another query and it all worked fine via AXE027 to an 08M powered at 3V3. Download signalling and data receive seems to be working or the compiler wouldn't get that far and Firmware Check wouldn't produce a result.

Verifiction errors are usually symptomatic of a power supply problem maybe arising when there's not enough oomph to handle the larger current draw when a PICAXE programs its own memory. Odd though it works on Windows.

Could there be some other application running which is sharing the serial port, or grabbing control of it away from LinAXEpad ?

You could try linking the AXE027 sleeve and ring - avoiding shorting to 0V tip - and see if LinAXEpad Terminal echoes back whatever is typed.

I can't think of anything else at the moment other than to try it on a different Linux system.

marcos.placona

Hi, sorry for my late reply on this. I've tested the same thing with a CHI030 and picaxe 18x I had lying around just to be 100% sure it wasn't anything with my circuit, but still, the results are the same.

I then tried moving away from the serial ports directly, and tried using my USB010 along with AXE026. Oddly enough, I get the same error, but with e different message as you cans ee:

Code:
PICAXE-08M Enhanced Compiler. Version 1.2
Copyright (c) 1996-2010 Revolution Education Ltd
All rights reserved.
www.picaxe.co.uk

Compiled successfully.
Memory used = 8 out of 256 bytes.

Searching for hardware on /dev/ttyUSB0.
Downloading program.

line# 0 col# 0 

Error: 
Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but 0xFFFFFF80 received at byte 1
This time LinAxePad seemed to be compiling, but got the error half way.

I am actually using Ubuntu, which is a pretty standard distro, and I haven't got any other USB device connected. I also tried changing USB ports just in case, but to no avail.

In regards to:

"You could try linking the AXE027 sleeve and ring - avoiding shorting to 0V tip - and see if LinAXEpad Terminal echoes back whatever is typed."

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean here.

thanks again

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
What we are trying to do is called a loop-back test; that checks that what is sent from the PC is received by the PC. The easiest way to do that is to have terminal display connected to a serial port with its TX linked to RX, what's typed goes out will come back in.

The Terminal of AXEpad can function as the display, then it's a case of connecting the TX and RX of the cable together. For an AXE027 that is sleeve and ring of the 3.5mm jack, tip is 0V. Short ring and sleeve and you create the loop-back path.

A piece of masking tape over the tip to insulate it, a croc-clip which connects sleeve and ring is a quick way of achieving a safe short.

marcos.placona

Resolved

Just thought I should give a heads up on this. After some research, I've finally got it to work. It turned out to be my serial-ports which were a bit dodgy.

I wrote an article about it, that describes what I've done in order to get it to work.

I'm posting the link here, so if anyone ever has the same problem, this is the definitive fix for it.

Getting serial ports to work on Linux/

Ps. Thanks for the help Hippy, using the loop back method, I was able to find out about my dodgy serial-ports :)

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Interesting - you hadn't mentioned these were PCI-card ports rather than motherboard ports but it seems all sorted now.

What about the USB-to-serial cable; have you managed to get that working ?

I seem to have confused myself ( any yourself ) earlier over which USB-to-serial cable you had, but glad the loop-back suggestion helped anyway.

marcos.placona

I didn't try the USB to serial anymore. I don't really like using them anyway, but I guess it will be something along the lines of the fix I found for it, but using the USB port instead.

Will try later on and report back.

Cheers