Linaxepad question...

Grogster

Hi all. :)

I post this here, and not in the programming editor forum, as although it is a programmer for the PICAXE, it is not the official Windoze one, so thought I should post here - moderators will move this if they don't agree with my logic... ;)

I have just acquired one of those dinky little Asus Eee PC's with GNU Linux on it, and was thinking about having a tinker with Linaxepad on it, and a USB-Serial adaptor.

Anyone used a configuration like that?
Anyone using Linux and Axepad for their programming?
...and for those who are, you're probably using hardware COM ports rather then usb-serial adapters, right?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Yep, moved as the AXEpad forum is the correct forum to use for LinAXEpad questions!

One of our test machines for Linux testing is an eeePC with AXE027 cable, so you should have no problems at all.

Simply install the software, then when in the 'options' hit the 'modprobe' button to register an AXE027. You should then have no problems with the cable - no drivers to install on Linux for USB cables.

Prolific usb adapters should also work fine.

Grogster

Like a right idiot, I did not spot that sub-forum... :(
Thanks for moving, and the info.

Did you PICAXE guys at RevEd write AXEpad?

Edit: after some reading, looks like you did...

Have you or anyone else used Puppeee(deliberate mis-spelling) Linux on your EEEpc's with Axepad?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48288
Does Axepad have any Linux distro requirements?

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, AXEpad was written by Rev-Ed. For details of requirements for Linux see pad001.pdf - Help -> AXEpad User Manual from the AXEpad menu. The general requirements are -

x86-based Linux distribution with GTK+ 2.8 or higher
glibc-2.4
CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System)
libstdc++.so.6