Success using LinAXEPad on AMD64 Linux

amos1969

After scratching my head for a while I've just worked out how to get the LinAXEPad Software to run on my 64 bit Debian install. So in case others are wondering here's how I did this.

On Debian it requires the ia32-libs-gtk package to be installed which contains the libgtk-x11-2.0.so package which LinAXEPad complained about when I tried to run it previously.

I now have LEDs blinking happily at me from a chip programmed from my 64 bit laptop (loaded the program via the USB cable but had to change permissions on dev/ttyUSB0 to 666 as I kept getting a permission denied message)! :D

Cheers
Amos

Last edited:

ScottCarson

LinAXAEPad on Linux Mint AMD64 (64 bit OS)

Thank you for your post... after floundering for several hours trying to solve yet another Linux puzzle, I luckily discovered your post.

I'm pretty new to Linux and couldn't figure out why axepad easily installed per the instructions and ran on my netbook (32 bit Linux) but wouldn't run on my desktop running Linux Mint (64bit). On my 64-bit system, Axepad installed normally but when the executable file was double clicked to launch the application nothing happened... no error messages, nada.

After reading your post, I used the Linux Mint software manager to install the id32-libs, rebooted, and now axepad is running normally. I've also tested the USB connection which is also now working.

For others contemplating using Linux for the first time, I would probably recommend using the 32-bit version of Linux to avoid these types of issues which as a newbie, I was not anticipating. As a matter of fact, these types of recurring compatibility problems on Windows 7 (64 bit) were one of the main motivators for me to give Linux a try once again. So far I've found Linux Mint 10 to be an excellent replacement for Windows 7 (64-bit) which I've found to be very frustrating.

Scott