PNS on mobile broadband

pyrogaz

Has anyone tried using the PNS connected to mobile broadband? Possibly by using one of these http://www.broadband.co.uk/mobile-broadband/routers/

We currently use an "off the shelf" datalogging telemetry system on an electric racing car, the communication part of the system is via Xbee Pro modules which we struggle to get decent range from and get nothing at all out of line of sight. We're going to move over to a fully picaxe based system next year that the kids can develop in school (a better learning experience and much cheaper) but hit on the idea of using a PNS and mobile broadband to give more reliable telemetry communication, just not sure if it's even possible.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I think it should work. The Mobile Broadband Router appears to connect to the "3" network and allows a number of PC's to plug into that so they can all access the internet through it, rather than each having to have a separate USB Mobile Broadband Dongle. If so, I can't see that the PNS cannot be used through it.

I'm assuming though that once a PC / PNS has connected via this Mobile Broadband Router that PC / PNS becomes visible on the internet as a whole, otherwise, whilst one can connect outbound to get web pages, email and so on, no one can connect inbound, which would make it hard for the PNS to serve up its web pages.

I'd want to read the Mobile Broadband Router documentation and have details of the Mobile Broadband services offered before saying it would or wouldn't work.

pyrogaz

Thanks Hippy. 3 say their service is suitable for remote working via a VPN so that implies an inbound connection is possible?

In reality it could end up being just a bit too expensive at £75 for the PNS, £70 for a router and £20 for the dongle; especially if we can get Xbee Pro modules with dipole or whip aerials which claim to have a better range than the "chip" aerial on the current system for around £40/pair; but it's a nice idea and is probably worthy of investigation.

There was actually a suggestion of using one of the new Archos 9 tablet pc's mounted within the car to act as a server for the picaxe datalogger over a VPN, unfortunately the £450 required to buy one may be a sticking point!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Another possibility is a GSM Data Modem; RS232 to a box with a suitable SIM in, dial a number with an AT command, when connected every character/byte gets sent to the server. It should be possible to have the same work as the server at the other end.

Not as high-tech as Mobile Broadband but being serial it should make everything easier for direct interfacing to a PICAXE chip.

With an RS232 Data Cable you can use cheap mobile phones to achieve a point-to-point link. The SIM may need to have data services enabled. Not sure what call charges would be.

Added : This is the the sort of thing I've used, and, from the shape of the casing, I'd say it was re-branded Wavecom ...

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/TMAS_GSM_Modem.html

Interesting it mentions "Siemens TC-35i GSM Engine" as I was using a Siemens 35i phone at the other end ;-)

Last edited: