USB cable - Driver download

lazer123

Hello, I downloaded the driver for the USB cable to 2 different computers, but windows tells me it does not see the driver. Can you tell me a solution? Can you send to me the CD for the cable?

Thank you.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

Which USB cable are we talking about - AXE027 or USB010, and for which Windows OS ?

Did you extract the drivers from the .ZIP file and follow the instructions ?

lazer123

Hello, it is the cable for the Picaxe-08m servo driver kit. I think I downloaded the AXE027 file. This is my first time working on this project.

I am using Windows Vista. I have instructions but I don't understand some of the instructions. I extracted the files but I did not see anymore instructions after I extracted the files. After I extracted the files, I inserted the cable but Windows tells me it does not see the files. I don't know if I extracted the drivers from the zip files. I extracted the drivers from my document files.

The following are the instructions I am trying to follow:

AXE027 PICAXE USB CABLE

Index:
1.0) Introduction
2.0) General tips for using the AXE027 USB cable
3.0) Windows Installation
4.0) Linux Installation
5.0) Mac OS X Installation
6.0) Windows CE/PocketPC/Mobile Installation
7.0) PICAXE Download Circuit
8.0) AXE027 Circuit Diagram

Thank you.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't have a copy of Vista to hand so these instructions may not be exact, but should be the basic principles to follow ...

First, download the "AXE027 USB Driver for XP / 2000 / 2003 / Vista".

Use Explorer to locate the downloaded .ZIP file, click on it and you should get a list of files including "FTD2XX.DLL". Click on File -> Extract All and extract the files to somewhere on disk.

Then, obtain the "Windows Vista Installation Guide" from http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/InstallGuides.htm.

Insert the AXE027 cable, and when it indicates "Found New Hardware" follow the guide, and choose the directory the earlier files were extracted into.

Hopefully it should then indicate the drivers were installed.

lazer123

Hello, I found the FTD2XX.DLL, I did click on it but Windows tells me it can't open this file. I did extracted all the files. I inserted the cable and followed the instructions. Windows tell me it can't find the C:\Users\David\desktop\CDM 2.00.00 (Certified). The file is located in C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1]

I tried to install using C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1], but Windows tells me, it can't find the driver.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Which version of Windows are you using, XP, Vista, other, and 32 or 64-bit ?

What does the New Hardware Detected pop-up describe the device as, or how is that identified within Device Manager ?

Normally it's extract the driver files and, when the New Hardware Wizard pops-up indicating "AXE027 PICAXE USB", change to the required directory, click okay and it all installs. The error seems to suggests you've not got an AXE027, don't have the AXE027 drivers, or have not extracted them to the directory you are telling the Wizard they are in.

lazer123

Hello, I am using Vista 32 bit. I don't see it within Device manager. The files are located in C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1]. How can I
extract the files to the directory I am telling the Wizard they are in?

Thank you

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Hello, I am using Vista 32 bit. I don't see it within Device manager.
What does the New Hardware Detected pop-up describe the device as when you insert the cable ?

The files are located in C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1]. How can I extract the files to the directory I am telling the Wizard they are in?
For XP, and I expect Vista is similar - Use Explorer / My Computer to locate the downloaded .ZIP file, double-click on it and you should get a list of files including "FTD2XX.DLL". Click on File -> Extract All and extract the files to somewhere on disk.

lazer123

Hello, when I insert the cable describes the device as AXE027 Picaxe USB. Windows tell me it can't find the driver software for the device.

I extracted all the files to C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1]. I copied the files onto a disc. I inserted the cable and then inserted the disc. Windows tell me it can't find the driver after I inserted the disc.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Normally it's a case of simply telling Windows New Hardware Wizard which disc or directory the drivers are in, clicking OK and it installs them.

I'm not sure what to suggest as you're having the same problem on two PC's. It's probably something very simple to resolve if we were looking over your shoulder but not so easy otherwise.

Do you have a friend who has some experience in Device Driver installation, or anyone who can just look over your shoulder to see if you are missing something in the process ? I know how easy it is to get stuck in the "this should work" loop that what's stopping it working can get overlooked.

Alternatively, perhaps a screen shot of every screen which the New Hardware Wizard brings up, or a list of exactly what each screen asks for and what information you provide as it progresses.

lazer123

Hello, I don't know of anyone with experience in Device Driver installation. I will have to go to a computer store and hire help.

The steps I have been taking and messages I have been receiving are:

1-Downloaded driver from website.

AXE027 PICAXE USB Download Cable

This is the latest driver for the USB Download Cable (part AXE027), required if your computer or laptop does not have a spare serial port (note that Windows 95 and NT do not support USB devices).
USB Driver for XP / 2000 / 2003 / Vista

2- Extracted All files to (C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1])
19 items were extracted.

3- Inserted USB cable

4- Windows message (Found new hardware) (Windows needs to intall driver software for AXE027 Picaxe USB)

5- Clicked on Locate and install software.

6- Clicked on (I don't have a disc. Show me other options)

7- Message from Windows(Windows was unable to intall your AXE027 Picaxe USB)(Windows could not fine the driver for your device)

Thank you.

tater1337

shouldn't step 6 be "I do have a disc" and then you point it to the location?

in this case, the directory you put it in would be the disc

Not a vista user.

although on the other hand, other USB junk I have you had to run the installer before you asked windows to look for the disc

frustrating WIFI dongles

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
After step 6 it should go to a screen offering "Check for a solution" and "Browse my Computer for Driver software". Click the "Browse..." option and it should offer an new screen with an option to specify the location of your disk / directory ( according to the FTDI Vista installation guide, and that matches my vague memories of installing drivers under Vista ).

The heading for the "Check solution..." / "Browse..." is "Windows Couldn't find driver software for your device" ( which is correct ) and is as described in your Step 7 : At that point you need to click "Browse...", not "Check solution...", nor click Cancel Button.

lazer123

Hello, I did click on browse and the following file appeared.(C:\Users\David\Documents\axe027[1])

I then did click (next) but Windows message is (Windows was unable to intall your AXE027 Picaxe USB)(Windows could not fine the driver for your device)

Thank you.

lazer123

shouldn't step 6 be "I do have a disc" and then you point it to the location?

in this case, the directory you put it in would be the disc

Not a vista user.

although on the other hand, other USB junk I have you had to run the installer before you asked windows to look for the disc

frustrating WIFI dongles
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, I will try it.