Com port not found, help anyone?

SMUTTLEY

Just over twelve months since I have touched the picaxe, and when I fired up the Picaxe programmer I found it had updated to a newer version. Now my problem is, that it now says that the "Serial port error - port not present or already in use!" I am using Serial plug and not not a USB.

I tried to find another program that was using the port without any luck. In the options in Picaxe programmer, it don't show any active ports and all greyed out. I can not think what I have installed in the past that would use the COM1 port.

Anyone had this problem?

Kind regards

Steve

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The Programming Editor shouldn't AFAIK have 'automatically downloaded a latest version' but that's by-the-by.

If you haven't pressed the "Refresh" button in the View -> Options -> Serial Port display that's the first thing to try.

If it doesn't appear then, it would seem either the COM Port is not being found on your PC or is in use by something else. You can check in Device Manager that COM1 has been detected and recognised by Windows and look in the System Tray for any applications such as PDA tools which may have opened the port.

HyperTerminal could also be used to check what COM ports are available or not. That should be accessible on XP via the Windows "Start button", Programs -> Accessories -> Communications.

SMUTTLEY

Fixed It.

Thanks for the link, that was easy to follow the instructions and help me understand the problem. I found (in the end) that I needed to uninstall the driver and start over, as the Hyper thingy would not show any changes, just said com! not found, so I kicked it our and fired a new driver up. All works now, just need to get to another section of the forum on Rpm code for my new model engine, that is connected with a hall effect chip,

Thanks guys for helping with this,

Kind regards

Smuttley (Steve)