Error: 5 issues

BradBlucher

I was wondering if someone could give a step by step explanation as to how to solve an "error: 5" issue I am having when I go to write a program to my chip. I have read all of the previous threads pertaining to this issue and have not been able to solve my problem as I have no idea where to go to make the prescribed changes. I am an amateur and do not intuitively know where everything is on my computer.

So the problem details are:

I cannot write a program to the chip. When I click run I get the "error: 5..." message.
I can confirm the firmware on the chip.
I have tried changing the compatibility modes for the program.
I am running a 64bit version of XP Pro.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

For those of us who have forgotten what those previous threads may be, or what the problem relates to ( beyond not being able to download ), could you supply a link to the threads ?

Even giving the full text of what follows the "Error:5" message would help.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
First, make sure you are running the latest Programming Editor, version 5.2.6

Could you also let us know if you get the same error when you do a Check Syntax (F4).

Also which PICAXE type are you attempting to program ?

I recall those earlier problems were related to the Programming Editor using 16-bit sub-programs and the OS not being configured to utilise 16-bit sub-programs. Such 16-bit sub-programs have not been used by Programming Editor for a while so it may be that you have some other problem. I have not heard of similar problems with 64-bit XP.

Could you tell us exactly what the error message says in entirety, including any heading the message box has, or provide a screen shot.

BradBlucher

Well, I tried downloading a newer version of the editor and that solved the problem (I was using something around 5.0). I have had no further problems.

Thank you very much for your very quick and concise responses. The help is appreciated.