Formula MiniSumo

slurp

I've been playing with MiniSumo robots for a while, this latest one fits within the Formula MiniSumo rules and uses this 18X Control Board.

The board give access to all I/O, reset and programming circuitry, on additional button and two LED outputs, 1A low drop out regulator and to fit within the Formula rules a L293 motor driver is used. The battery is being strapped above the controller at the moment - fortunately the motor drive is not running hot!

Strictly, I suppose this is not a finished project... the opponent detection needs to be added but it's now mobile and 80% there ;)

Finished info soon...

regards,
Colin

russbow

Looks nice Colin. The motors look like a couple I bought, integral motor and gearbox. Cost about £1.50 each. At 120:1 ratio I thought too slow so went for a Tamia unit.

I look forward to further development notes and maybe a pic or two.

Thanks for that
Russ

slurp

Yea, that's probably them. Part of the Formula idea is low cost entry in to the competition but also a relatively even field to cut your teeth on the robot development... it can be daunting when you see some of the competition with lots of time and money to spare.

I've got a Tamiya base minisumo too:

This is an old picture. Still controlled by and 18X but built up on a bread board with a daughter board for motor control, battery monitoring and regulation. The battery mounting, motor control and regulation is all changing, it's likely to stay with a bread board but will have the daughter boards arranged to plug straight in.

Going to try some Vishay SI9986 for the motor control on this one, I think I've just got the margin on current capacity... we'll see if I smoke the samples!

regards,
Colin

slurp

The mods are mechanical more than PICAXE related but the software is still being tweaked.

The next BIG event in the UK is on the 26th June 2010 at Millennium Point in Birmingham, along side UK MICROMOUSE 2010. I've been knocking the minisumo into better shape and getting it up to fighting weight.

The chassis has had a few lengths 25x4mm bar added and fastened together to make a new gearbox mounting. The opponent sensors are still a little short sighted so I'm not 100% confident in stealing the UK Minisumo Champion title!

regards,
Colin

slurp

There's a video here of the minisumo competition at UKMM 2010, the video include this picaxe based minisumo and a number of minisumo with other controllers.

http://vimeo.com/13346911

There's a comentary on the video here:-

http://www.minisumo.org.uk/wiki/index.php?page=UKMM2010

I'd hope the next event will have a more challenging start where opponent need to find each other.

On the to-do list we've got a more secure attachment of the PCB, improved opponent sensors and improved front scoop.

Best regards,
Colin

slurp

ROBOtic '10

It's great to hear ROBOtic is on for it's 6th year:- http://www.tic.ac.uk/micromouse/ROBOtic10.asp

While I've not done much on my To Do List of improvements I hope to be back in Birmingham to put AFM through it's paces.

For the event more generally you could expect Maze Solver, Wall Follower,Time Trials, Mini-Sumo, Line Follower, Drag Race and Freestyle (any robot you would like to show us)

Best regards,
Colin