USB - Serial Adapter(USB010) and Linux

gavian

I have bought USB - Serial Adapter(USB010) and was realy supised when I found out that there is no manual for Linux instalation. For example PICAXE USB Download Cable(AXE027) has section about linux instalation. Those devices arent to different from each other.

I have found out that to make USB010 working with Linux the module 'pl2303' has to be load. How to do it see manual for AXE027.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

I've just connected what I am sure is a USB010 to my Linux PC and that appeared as /dev/ttyUSB0 and worked fine with LinAXEpad without installing any drivers or any other configuration.

That is with Ubuntu 8.04 ( Hardy Heron ) - What Linux distro are you using ?

USB010 and AXE027 are significantly different from each other internally however the AXE027 does not require drivers to be installed either but does need to be configured to identify the particular cable used ( 'modprobe' ). This is the process described in the AXE027 manual; it is not applicable to the USB010.

The AXE027 manual can be opened from within LinAXEpad through the Help option on the menu bar.

Added : Definitely a PL2303 device, was a birthday present a few years ago but I'm sure it was purchased from Tech-Supplies. Also installed and worked okay in WinXp ( used drivers already on HDD ), okay in Win98SE with drivers on the supplied CD.

Last edited:

gavian

I am using ArchLinux

Inside they are different but both have a chip which convert RS232 to USB. Difference is only on a driver level.

I am not complaining about leak of linux manual I was able to make it working without problems by
Code:
su -c 'modprobe pl2302'
In the manual for USB010 should be mention at least a name of a driver.

Cheers

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the update.

I also found a link suggesting "insmod pl2303" as another way to do it on some distros but I have no idea if that works or not. This is one of the problems with having so many different versions of Linux out in the field, some plug-and-play, some not, that it is difficult to know what works, what doesn't, and what is needed or sensible to add to any manual.