Linux AxePad

steliosm

Hello all,

I can't get the Home and End to function correctly. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I tried this on 3 different PCs and all behave the same in both versions (0.1.1 and 0.1.2).

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
In my test they appear to be ignored; is that how you mean by 'not functioning correctly' or are you seeing different behaviour ?

I do not know if this is an issue with the application's editing window handling or a Linux configuration issue and LinAXEpad is not getting the key presses, something in between or a combination of things but we will investigate this.

Which Linux distros did you try ?

steliosm

Excactly Hippy, it seems that the keys are just ignored.
I tried this on 2 machines running Ubuntu linux and on the eeePC 701 running the default OS (Xandros).

PhilipS

For what it's worth, I am using Mandriva (2008.1) with the KDE desktop and Home/End move the editor window to the top and bottom of the document respectively so I don't think it is an appliction problem.

steliosm

PhilipS Home&End buttons should move the cursor to the home and end position on the line the cursor is currently on. They shouldn't move the cursor to top or bottom position of the document.

MORA99

PhilipS Home&End buttons should move the cursor to the home and end position on the line the cursor is currently on. They shouldn't move the cursor to top or bottom position of the document.
unless ctrl is pressed also :)

Mookitty

In addition to this, could you look into the unevenness of the tab spacing.

When adding tabs to end of a line, to make comments like in the manual, they never seem to line up. If you open the .bas file in a text editor, and line up all the comments with tabs, the open axepad, all the comments are unaligned. Nothing major, just annoying.

If I had to guess, I'd say axepad is adding tabs that are 4 spaces wide (my personal setting) but not using fixed tab stops across the page to get everything in line.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Changing to a fixed-width rather than proportinal font should help improve things there.

Mookitty

Changing to a fixed-width rather than proportinal font should help improve things there.
I've tied Liberation Mono & Bitstream Vera Mono, among others. I haven't have a propo font in a terminal or text editor for over a decade.

fisheggs

Still problem with home/end in 0.1.3

There still appears to be problems with the home and end keys on the linux version.

If I'm editing a file that is a few screen-fulls long, and I position the cursor in the middle of a line somewhere near the middle of the file.

When I press Home, the beginning of the file is displayed, but cursor isn't moved to BOF. If I immediately press the space-bar the space is inserted at the position the cursor was before I pressed Home, and that line is displayed.

Likewise for End (substitute EOF for BOF).

I'm running it on Ubuntu 8.04.2, and
Help -> configuration details shows:

Application : LinAXEpad
Version : 0.1.3

Current Mode : 28X1 / 40X1
Current Port : /dev/ttyS0

Application Path : /home/nigel/lib/axepad/
Compiler Path : /home/nigel/lib/axepad/compiler_linux/
Documents Path : /home/nigel/
Temporary Path : /tmp/
Settings Path : /home/nigel/

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
This appears to be an issue with the underlying library code which we will take a look at.