Another USB Issue

scheda

Hey everyone,

I'm here to bog up the forums with another USB problem. I searched, and looked through a number of threads, but I do not see anyone else having this issue.

First of all, I have attached a screenshot of the error I am getting.

So I have followed the instructions implicitly on installing the USB drivers.

Here is a rundown of what I have done:

Plugged 4 AA batteries into my PICAXE 28X. (Because 3 AA's did not come above 3.5V when it is stated in the manual to have 4-5V)

Plugged my USB cord into the PICAXE then into my PC, and noted which port it was inserted into.

Installed the programming editors.

Installed both AXE027 drivers from the PICAXE cd that came with in my package. I chose the drivers from cd:/USB_Drivers_AXE027/XP-2000-VISTA

Opened the PICAXE Programming Editor.

Hit F5 to upload the 'code' (blank page) to the PIC chip.

That is when I got the error in the screenshot below.

I tryed the solution presented, resetting the device, but to no avail. I also switched COM ports as suggested in the manual.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

slurp

If you look at the Device Manager (with the AXE027 plugged in), you should see AXE027 PICAXE USB (COMx) under Ports (COM & LPT).

The (COMx) relates to the actual COM port the device has assumed. Does it match the COM3 that the editor is looking for? (Ref. screen shot)

If you right click on the line in the device manager and select properties you can then select Port Settings and press the Advanced button - here you can select the port you want the USB to assume - to match the Program Editor. (I'm looking at Vista here).

Alternatively, in the programming editor options, you can select the comport that's reflected in the device manager.

Although I've not tried it, the documentation shows that COM port may vary depending on the USB port used. I hope this helps.

regards,
colin

scheda

Yep, they match up. It was originally COM3 on both sides, software and Windows, then I tried using four different ports, none of which worked. Does the USB port have a COM port assigned to it already, and it's basically my task to guess which one?

leftyretro

Yep, they match up. It was originally COM3 on both sides, software and Windows, then I tried using four different ports, none of which worked. Does the USB port have a COM port assigned to it already, and it's basically my task to guess which one?
Yes, that is my understanding of the case. I think on first installation that the USB serial device driver will use the next avalible free com port number but that might be vendor specific.

Lefty

BCJKiwi

Yes and no,

Yes the port is automatically assigned as per retrolefty.

No, you don't need to guess - you find which one it is (or change it in windows) then set the programming editor to match as per slurp.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Also remember you will get a different virtual COM port if you insert the AXE027 into a different usb port on your computer. So work out which COM port is allocated now (Device Manager as above) and then always use that same usb port on your computer.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The video is not clear enough to see, but it appaers like the AXE027 is correctly installed and on COM5.

So that implies a hardware issue. Firstly

"Plugged 4 AA batteries into my PICAXE 28X. (Because 3 AA's did not come above 3.5V when it is stated in the manual to have 4-5V)"

This is incorrect - 3 good new alkaline AAs will always give above 4V. Check the batteries. Also make sure the power is getting to the actual chip - - put a multimeter across the power pins on the chip.

Which project board are you using?

scheda

I'm using brand new rechargable AA's. Maybe they just aren't fully charged, which is why I'm getting the 3.5V.

I tested with a multimeter last night, and I'm getting the 3.5 off of the power cords.

BCJKiwi

Depending on the type of rechargeable they may only deliver 1.2V per cell at full charge. What do you get with 4 rechargeables? - test without the PICAXE!

If you try regular dry cells ensure you only use 3 cells = 4.5V. 4 dry cells will over supply and fry the PICAXE!